Thursday, February 14, 2008

Avocado Salsa

I absolutely adore avocados. It was not love at first sight though. Paji introduced me to the first avocado and told me that I would love it! He told me to just cut it in half and eat it. Well, needless to say that I did not love that one. Subsequently though, I learned to eat it in many different ways - actually even just cut in half, but with the addition of salt and pepper - and did fall hopelessly in love :)!

With all the wonderful nutrients in it, I feel it should be - an avocado a day keeps the doctor away - instead of the proverbial apple. Well, if not daily, I try to get some once or twice a week at least. Here is an easy way to get some anytime you feel like it.

Mexican food is so much like Indian food to me because of the ingredients like beans, rice, tortillas and last but not least, the fantastic salsa! My family just eats it up when we have beans and salsa. The only time consuming thing is all the chopping for the salsa. So instead of making Guacamole and salsa, I combined the two to make avocado salsa. Our family loves it. Perhaps you might like it too.

Ingredients:

1 large ripe Avocado
2 ripe Roma Tomatoes
1 Hot Green Chili (Jalapeño or Serrano)
1 small Lime
1 small Onion
1 small bunch Fresh Cilantro
Salt to taste

Method:

Wash and dry the tomatoes, chili and cilantro. Chop all finely and place in a bowl with salt to taste. Peel the onion and chop finely. Combine the onions with the tomato mixture. Cut the avocado in half. Remove the pit and reserve. Carefully cut the avocado while in its skin by drawing the knife first lengthwise and then crosswise without cutting through the skin. Scoop out of the skin with a spoon into the tomato mixture. Squeeze the lime juice over the avocados and stir gently to mix well. Serve right away or place the pit snuggled in the salsa, cover with plastic film and chill until ready to serve.

Apparently the pit prevents oxidation - the turning brown of the avocado; remove it before serving or leave it as a garnish! This salsa is best when used within a couple of hours.

Serve with Frijoles Mexicanas, quesadillas, or chips. Enjoy!!

No comments: